69b9020515a885ffd7859c571ecd7fa3

Monday, June 25, 2012

Guided Math Book Study - Chapter 4 - Freebie

I've been following Teaching Blog Addict's book study on Guided Math for a few weeks. The focus of chapter four is whole group instruction. Author Laney Sammons recommends using children's literature as an activating strategy for the lesson's skill. Since my math class was right after my literacy block last year, literature was a good transition from one subject to the other. I use lots of my activities tied to math and literature as a whole group activity before I put it in a math station. Here is one.
The illustrations in Eve Merriam's 12 Ways to Get to 11 catch students' attention. They write math equations to fit the descriptions in the book, then write their own description of a situation, adding an illustration and equation.


Just click on the pic above to get the file.

{How many ways can you leave a comment?}

Have you entered my giveaway celebrating my wonderful 600 followers? For a chance at a $20.00 Amazon gift card, just click {HERE}!

6 comments:

  1. I use tons of literature for my math instruction too - including this book! Thank you so much for the activity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing this book study, too :) I feel I am weak at using math literature. I would love to hear about some of the books you use & how you use them.
    Storie
    atozscrapbook@gmail.com
    Stories by Storie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the printable activity that you shared with us! I especially liked the question about how many twins and how many triplets this gets students' brain thinking in a different way. Thanks again for all that you share with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just awarded you the "One Lovely Blog" award! Stop by my blog to accept it! Thanks for sharing your great ideas! I think I've downloaded almost every printable from your site to use in my second grade classroom! :)

    Jessica
    Mrs. Heeren's Happenings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to link to literature with Common Core. I am moving down from third to second grade and would love to see more examples of early learning! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete