69b9020515a885ffd7859c571ecd7fa3

Sunday, September 9, 2012

All Things Informational

Understanding informational text is such a big part of Common Core. My kids usually choose a informational text over fiction when they visit my library, so it's easy to build on their interests when reinforcing using text features.

I've pulled all my old resources into one post. 
Hope you find something you can use! Just click on each picture to get the info!
Check back during the week to see what new things we did with informational text.
This is one of my most popular posts. Pull out just the parts you need or let your students complete the entire packet in pairs or alone.



This is similar to the Super Hero activity. You can use it in the same way.

I pull out this activity several times a year for reinforcement. The kids love scavenger hunts.

Students have to use text features in the book Cats vs. Dogs to complete these activities.

 Cash in on your students' love of sharks. These activities are all based on National Geographic Kids Sharks!
Practice determining the main idea and using content-specific vocabulary introduced in text with these activities based on Ugly Animals.


I love the Smart Words Readers. This station activity is based on one of the titles in the series, Volcanoes.


 These task cards are based on the text exemplar Seeds, by Gail Gibbons.

If you have some fun resources for using informational text, please leave a comment.


2 comments:

  1. Mary, I am a homeschool mom and recently found your blog. I LOVE being a follower and I always smile when I see there is a post from Pitner's Potpourri in my inbox. You are AMAZING and must be a tremendously gifted teacher (I'd love to have my daughter in your class!). Thank you so much for the breadth of ideas that you share which are so creative and so applicable to REALLY learning and thinking. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you thank you for everything you make & share!

    ReplyDelete